Chateau Grange Cochard was built in 1759 but it sits on older foundations. The lane outside the house is a Roman road. Little used today, it was a major route featuring on the Antonine maps of 280 AD. In medieval times the older house was a staging post belonging to the ancient order of the Knights Hospitaller. They sheltered pilgrims on their way from the great churches of Autun and Cluny to Lyon and beyond.
Today the vineyard consists of 8 hectares of Morgon. Our vines are some of the finest in the area and include the top of the prestigious Côte du Py, the ancient volcanic outcrop first planted with vines by the Romans. Our current vines are themselves mostly very old, between 40 and 100 years of age. These gnarled and twisted plants give low yields, great intensity and complexity, with deep root systems penetrating the different layers of soil and rock.
Outside in the park surrounding the chateau are numerous unusual trees planted in the middle of the nineteenth century as an arboretum. They lead down to the Morsille, a stream which comes from the hills above us and forms a wildlife corridor down to the river Sâone.
We have encouraged the park and the stream to form a wildlife haven with many species of birds and wild flowers in the old meadow and woodland, and are planting new specimen trees for the future.
Sadly, little remains of the garden’s fountains and water features, but in 2013 we completed the restoration of the chateau’s old orangery.